- Each story was written exclusively for the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge
- Kids will “unlock” each story throughout the summer as they enter their reading minutes and hit specific milestones.
- In light of children’s varied reading abilities and recent research finding reading aloud is important, we have a “read aloud” audio function – performed by children – for kids to enjoy these stories.
- Each of the authors has written a unique short story using the same opening sentence which is, “I glanced over my shoulder to make sure that no one had followed me into the shadowy library, then took a deep breath and opened the glowing book…”
- Every story has original, interactive artwork by artist Moon Sub Shin.
- The goal is to introduce children to a variety of voices, authors and genres to encourage self-discovery, power of choice and the joy of pleasure reading.
- The schools with the most reading minutes nationwide will win a visit from Varian Johnson (top middle school) and Michael Northrop (top elementary school)